- View RSS in plain English (video): A great introduction to RSS by Commoncraft.
- View Slides from RSS presentation on Tuesday, March 3 (ppt)
- Read RSS (wikipedia article)
- Set up an RSS reader account. Google Reader and Bloglines are two of the most popular readers. Choose whichever reader you prefer. If you already have a Google account, you can use the same username and password for Google Reader.
- View Getting Started with Google Reader (video) - From Google Reader Help Channel.
- View Reading Feeds with Google Reader (video) - From Google Reader Help Channel.
- OPTIONAL: View Sharing Items with Google Reader (video)- From Google Reader Help Channel.
- OPTIONAL: Read through Bloglines Help page (website)
- View Examples of Library RSS Applications (video)
- Read To Get You Started . . . (Word Doc) - Provides links to feeds related to Library & Information Science and other topics.
- Read University of Illinois Library Databases with RSS Feeds (PDF) - Database platforms with RSS feed availability.
You may prefer to use a personalized portal rather than a reader. A portal allows you to customize a homepage interface with various gadgets (example: Google gadgets) and RSS feeds. Some popular portals include:
- MyYahoo! - (Use same username and password as Yahoo! email account)
- iGoogle- (Use same username and password for all Google applications)
University of Illinois Library Feeds:
University of Illinois Feeds:
We will have a hands-on lab session (no registration required) on Tuesday, March 17th from 11am-12noon in 314 Library. Please stop by with any questions you have!